Japan

Japan

Japan has 23,000 hectares of vineyards cultivated by as many as 80,000 growers lending to small plots. In recent years, japanese regulations have changed and now allow wineries to grow their own grapes, which has resulted in better control of the viticulture and winemaking processes. 32% of Japan’s wine market consists of domestic wines, while the remaining 68% is represented by international imports. Japanese consumers are conscious of premium wine brands that have strong regional characteristics and a valued story.

Download The Asian Wine Review

Economic Facts

Population

126,919,659

Export of Goods

USD 648,494 (2015)

Country Size

374,744 Km2

Import of Goods

USD 624,939 (2015)

Legal Drinking Age

20 years old

% Change in GDP Growth Rate 2015-2016

1%

Wine Industry Facts

Annual Wine Production

250,000 tonnes (2015)

Annual Per Capita Wine Consumption

3.1 liters

Number of Wineries

80,000 growers

% of Wine Consumption Growth

12% (from 2011 to 2012)

% of Global Wine Production

23,000

VARIETALS

RED VARIETALS

Cabernet Sauvignon
Merlot
Pinot Noir
Shiraz

WHITE VARIETALS

Chardonnay
Sauvigno
Blanc
Riesling
Koshu

Wine Regions of Japan

DOWNLOAD THE EBOOK
THE ASIAN WINE REVIEW 2017

DOWNLOAD THE EBOOK

The world’s most trusted guide on Asian Wine production is here!
Over 200 pages of winery info, national statistics and business trends.
Includes tasting notes and scores of the region’s best wines

download now